R.Schmidt

I am using the "Using Backup and Restore (WSS 3.0)" procedure from MSFT's TechNet2 (updated Mar. 2, 2007) and I am running into a bunch of issues. When I try to run either backup or restore from the Central Administration App, I enter all the information, start the process, and find myself sitting at the Backup and Restore Status screen forever. The process never runs. My Timer Service is running. How long should it take for the backup/restore process to start

I finally did the backup using the stsadm.exe -o backup. It took 4 hours to complete, but at least it did something.

I just tried the stsadm.exe -o restore, but failed due to errors. I am trying to do a backup of one farm (1 web server & 1 database server) and restore to a completely different farm (1 web server & 1 database server). Does anyone know the proper formatting for the stsadm.exe -o restore to do this One problem I noted was that the restored WSS_Content database was trying to attach back to the original web app. Definitely a problem, but one I am not sure how to fix.

Any help would be appreciated.

The Bear




Re: SharePoint - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation WSS 3.0 Backup & Restore Problems

bustedpacket

I am having the same problem on a clean install. I have read elsewhere that this may be a DST 2007 issue where the timer jobs are scheduled an hour off, causing delays during the middle of the backup process. Some have reported that turning off automatic DST changes and manually adjusting the system clock will fix the issue. Some (including me) are still running into the issue.




Re: SharePoint - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation WSS 3.0 Backup & Restore Problems

Kris

I had a similar issue with WSS 3. It so happens our backups completely failed (didn't even work after 4 hours) the day of the DST change. I did temporarily fix the problem with the "Automatically Adjust for DST", the backup ran normally. However upon attempting to restore to either the same install, or another fresh one, I got a "backup from wrong version" error. Clearly, the version did not change in a 10 minute period. The machine was patched and up to date for DST. I even checked the time zone xml file to make sure it had the proper DST information.

I have not found a solution and am currently planning a move in which we move the raw content database to a fresh install. I noticed that if you keep the server name the same as well as the application name you can simply add the old database as a content database and things seem to work fine. You have to re-configure your sharepoint config but all things considered that's not too bad.






Re: SharePoint - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation WSS 3.0 Backup & Restore Problems

kelz1004

Did you ever solve this

Thanks