Singularety

I have tried everything to get the search service to start back up. I am using SQL 2k5 for the database and it and WSS are the only things running. I have deleted the old index db and whenever I create a new one I get the following errors in the app log:

Event ID: 10035

Could not import the registry hive into the registry because it does not exist in the configuration database.

Context: Application '87d9d5e2-3923-42bd-b558-cacf986fa704'

Followed by:

Event ID: 10032

Could not create a database session.

Context: Application '87d9d5e2-3923-42bd-b558-cacf986fa704'

Details:

The database connection string is not available. (0xc0041228

Event ID: 2436

The start address <sts3://<servername>:<port>/contentdbid={e333892d-a4d7-4411-8330-bb3a1c9b1a66}> cannot be crawled.

Context: Application 'Search index file on the search server', Catalog 'Search'

Details:

(0x80131534)

Event ID: 10036

A database error occurred.

Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server

Code: 11 occurred 1 time(s)

Description: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionWrite (send()).]General network error. Check your network documentation.

and lastly (this one pops up about every 5 minutes)

Event ID: 2424

The update cannot be started because the content sources cannot be accessed. Fix the errors and try the update again.

Context: Application 'Search', Catalog 'index file on the search server Search'

I have found nothing to fix this...help would be appreciated..



Re: SharePoint - Search WSS v3 and Search... Search stopped working

smc750

How did you delete the index db






Re: SharePoint - Search WSS v3 and Search... Search stopped working

Singularety

First I deleted the search database tables and the stored procedure manually. Then I had WSS recreate everything and according to WSS everything seems fine but the errors are in the app log and search does not work.

I then tried to create a new search index (selected a new name for the search database) by letting WSS v3 create everything it needed to... Everything seems to work and the database is created but I get the errors in the app log and search does not work...





Re: SharePoint - Search WSS v3 and Search... Search stopped working

smc750

Not sure what you mean by deleting the search database tables and the stored procedure manually. You should have just stopped the Windows SharePoint Services Search service in Central Administration/Operations and this would have deleted the database for you. You then could have started the service again and named the database and it would create a new one for you. Then make sure to go into Central Administration/Application Management/Content Databases and select you content database. Then select your search server as the local box. Make sure and follow these steps in order and everything should work.






Re: SharePoint - Search WSS v3 and Search... Search stopped working

Singularety

Ok..unfortunately it does not...

In WSS when you stop the service in CA/operations it says it is going to delete the Index but it doesn't really and if you try to utilize the same database an error is thrown that they have to be deleted (I verified that this is a case with the new SAMS sharepoint book, they state the same).

But even if I create a new database I should not have any issues...but I get the above events no matter what I do..





Re: SharePoint - Search WSS v3 and Search... Search stopped working

smc750

Granted it does not delete the database when stopping the service, but you cannot reuse the old one that is why you get the error trying to utilize the same database.






Re: SharePoint - Search WSS v3 and Search... Search stopped working

smc750

Is sql server on the same machine or on another machine Check to make sure you "Content Access Account" can access the content database, is db_owner in the search database.






Re: SharePoint - Search WSS v3 and Search... Search stopped working

govworkflow

I was unable to get the WSS search going until such time as I:

Deleted the exisiting SQL search database instance

Created a new SQL search database instance with

the dbo as the setup user name

the collation as Latin1_CI AS KS WS.

In Central Admin/Operations I then used

server\setup user name for the Search Service account

server\unique user name for the content access account

In my excitement forgot to then link the search server to the content database

so went back to Central Admin/App Management and selected Content databases and linked it

After a 5 minute wait the searches started to display