JHaenf

I only index network locations using WDS 3.01. When I let WDS display a results page and scroll it down, this takes ages, changing line by line. It seems like WDS is touching each single item of the results page when displaying it. This is no problem as long you scroll only one line at a time, but when you try to scroll one page, you wait (or at least I did) about 4 seconds.

I tried this at different times during the day. Network latency and bandwith should not be the problems here at my site, but I wonder why WDS tries to touch every single file at all...

Is there anything that can be done about this

Best regards

JHaenf



Re: Windows Desktop Search Help Very slow scrolling on results page

Zeito

I hope someone has a suggestion to fix this problem, as I've been banging my head on the desk over this issue for a while. I have users (both internal to the network and remote sites) that have the same problem. The weird part is that there can be two internal clients sitting right next to each other and one displays normally and the person next to them takes 30 seconds to scroll to the next page. Same browsers, same patches and updates, same Crystal Report Viewer object version, same everything. One might work flawlessly and one will be slower than anything. And it seems that once the "slow scroll" starts with a certain client machine no matter what I do to try and fix it, that particular client machine will "slow scroll" every time. I've removed the report viewer and forced a download of the viewer again to "reinstall", I've removed patches and reinstalled, I don't know what else to do... and it certainly doesn't help that I'm extremely inexperienced in Crystal (got it dumped on my lap when the "Crystal guru" left the company). Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.






Re: Windows Desktop Search Help Very slow scrolling on results page

R T

I've been facing the same problem for my project. We had done it with VB6 and (Seagate) Crystal Reports 8 earlier, and it worked fine. Then some moronic board member of the clients' suggested that the perfectly working system be upgraded to .NET. We finally migrated it all to VS 2005 (forms + crystal reports), but now the scroll error is there. I've used both PUSH and PULL methods, and nothing's working. Finally, I got this link:

http://ftp1.businessobjects.com/outgoing/CHF/viewers10win_en.zip

I haven't tried it yet, but I thought that I should mention it here, help msdn guys out. If nothing, at least it'll give programmers a place to look. And, as always, if anyone gets a solution, post it please!

Love, Terry