Atiz

Hi all,

i have an application working fine, until I installed windows 2003 server sp2 patch.

This application is using dcoms in a no domain to communicate with another application.

On checking the event viewer,

I encountered this error:

DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service ImapiService with arguments "-Service" in order to run the server: {520CCA63-51A5-11D3-9144-00104BA11C5E}

How do I solve this error

I had tried to go Add/Remove Program and removing sp2 from there but to no avail.

It seems that removing sp2 like that does not do the trick.

I forgot to make a backup copy unfortunately and am desperate for an answer.

Thanks for any help,

Atiz



Re: Visual C++ General dcom error after removing windows 2003 server sp2 patch

Bruno van Dooren

Uninstalling a service pack is like trying to take the salt out of the water after you've dissolved it. I don't know why they even allow you to do it because it is one of those things that'll never work.

But I digress.

Run dcomcnfg and verify that DCOM is enabled, and that the DCOM settings for your DCOM objects allow you to launch and access the object.

If everything looks fine, then make a small demo app to see if you can use DCOM at all on that computer.

If that works, the problem is with your specific application. if it doesn't then you have a general problem.

Try running your program in the debugger to see which error code comes back when you try to launch the COM server.

The COM server you want to use, is that a built in one, or one you built yourself





Re: Visual C++ General dcom error after removing windows 2003 server sp2 patch

Atiz

Yeah I now know not to touch the service pack. One painful lesson learnt.

The COM client that I am using is what I built by myself. The COM server is not built by me and is in another computer in a no domain environment.

The small demo app didn't work and produced the same error.

Nevertheless, I have reformatted the whole server and will be attempting to reinstall the application and configure it.

Thanks for your help!

Warmest regards,

Atiz