Denis Pitcher

I'm getting an error message intermittantly when publishing my application

Could not load file or assembly ..., Version=1.1.2692.18376, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=...' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

Fusion Log Data:

Successful load-

LOG: Assembly Name is: , Version=1.1.2692.18376, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=205848d03db232df
LOG: Binding succeeds. Returns assembly from C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Local Settings\Application Data\assembly\dl3\3MDEK0QZ.57D\D1GG5QL9.GKL\67c4e139\00df0250_c797c701\.dll.
LOG: Assembly is loaded in default load context.

Unsuccessful load attempt:

LOG: Assembly Name is: , Version=1.1.2690.28864, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=205848d03db232df
WRN: Comparing the assembly name resulted in the mismatch: Revision Number
ERR: The assembly reference did not match the assembly definition found.
ERR: Setup failed with hr = 0x80131040.
ERR: Failed to complete setup of assembly (hr = 0x80131040). Probing terminated.

I havn't been able to isolate under what conditions it happens and what conditions it doesn't, but I am attempting to do so. My thoughts are that it may be to do with potentially having recompiled the referenced project separately, yet when the publish function is run, it recompiles the project to be published but doesn't include the latest assembly for the referenced project. Not certain tho.

Would greatly appreciate any input/insight into how to resolve the issue.

Re: Visual Studio Tools for Office Publish deployment issue

Denis Pitcher

Ok, so I think I've got a better idea of what the issue is.

One major problem I ran into with the publish feature is that it always requires an active internet connection for the addin's to load (they oddly load from the network share and not the local drive). This was a major issue as any time the net connection went down or the user was working disconnected (laptop), the addin-load would fail and they would be disabled.

In order to get around this I wrote my own auto update modification that restarts the office application in question, copies the relevant files from the publish location and updates the versions in the local manifest.

This works great, up until now where I realize what the issue is that I'm having. All of my office addins use project references to shared assemblies to reduce repetitive code (I wanted to have common features available across the office suite). Whenever I publish one project, this updates the versions of those assemblies which subsequently breaks the addins for those apps that wern't updated.

Is there any way to disable the versioning or get around this issue so that my add-ins won't break Because the loading of addins is embedded in VSTO code, it's been a huge hurdle to write around the numerous issues I encountered and this one looks like a biggie.