davidMartin

Hi,

I developed an addin for Outlook 2003/2007 with VSTO 2005 SE.
I distributed it to users but they sometimes encounter a problem.
During outlook start, if the user stops Outlook and unfortunately Outlook was loading my add-in: At the next start, Outlook pops a message up to the user that Outlook experienced a serious problem with the ¡®myaddin¡¯ ¡­"Do you want to disable it " and by default they can click "yes". But I believe that my add-in is not responsible of it.
(I think that Outlook did not try to properly shut-down my add-in, does it )
Then, in outlook, we can see that it is the addinLoader.dll which is blocked. How can I unblock this dll programmatically (for example with a .bat file) and so I will not have to explain to the user how to do it in Outlook

In case of ¡°soft-disabling¡± I made a .bat file to change the loadbehaviour value from 2 to 3 and it works well. I really need the same thing in case of ¡°hard-disabling¡±.

Thanks for your help,


David



Re: Visual Studio Tools for Office hard disabling add-in problem

david_addon07

Hi everyone,


I ¡®m surprised that I didn¡¯t have any reply to my post because this forum is very active.

Is my post not clear enough I know my English can be pretty bad. Do not hesitate to ask me for more information about my problem or add-in configuration.


Thanks,


David.





Re: Visual Studio Tools for Office hard disabling add-in problem

Mauleen

Hi,

If you want to tell to your client just open your Outlook go to Help menu ther last option About Microsoft Office Outlook
then in that form there is last option Disabled Item. In which your addin is there tell him to remove from there and then your plugin works fine.

This kind of error is generted if you do not dispose your global varaible properly.

Mauleen.






Re: Visual Studio Tools for Office hard disabling add-in problem

david_addon07

You're maybe right, I will verify how I dispose my variables...
but I already tested other add-ins (from serious companies) having the same behaviour that mine.
Does someone from the Outlook or VSTO team can tell me if it's a bug of Outlook
Thanks for you suggestion Mauleen (help menu -> about -> Disabled Items),
today I believe that it is the only workaround for this problem but I hope not.

I would like to find this information into the Windows registry about the "Hard-disabled Items" ...

Thanks,

David





Re: Visual Studio Tools for Office hard disabling add-in problem

Mike Walker

Hi

Outlook/Office black listing normally happens when the Startup method is in prcess when outlook has been reset, I know this doesnt always ring true but basically the IDTExtensibility interface calls out from Office applications and if any of these fail and or have not returned to the calling application before a crash will flag the application as the possible cause.

This is not easy to get around but would suggest keeping application initialisation to a minimum in this method call if possible as will also improve loading performance of office applications as this is expensive as multiple applications take up precious cpu cycles and make the application seem unresponsive.

Regards