JamesBrooksbank


I've just finished testing an implementation of the MSN Search functionality into one of my projects. During debugging and testing on my local machine everything was working successfully, searches were being carried out and everything was fine.

However when putting it onto the server I came across an error:

The remote name could not be resolved: 'soap.search.msn.com'

I believe that the problem will be down to permissions on the server. Before messing around with the permission settings I thought I'd ask and see if anyone else has had this problem and whether or not they managed to solve the issue. Thankyou

James




Re: Error MSN Search When Putting Live

me*


Do you have configured a proxy server for local testing If yes take out the proxy settings. Cf. this thread






Re: Error MSN Search When Putting Live

JamesBrooksbank

I Have tried setting up the proxy server, still no joy. I've had the system working while debugging both with the proxy server and without it. However once it's put live the system just doesn't work presenting me with the same:

The remote name could not be resolved: 'soap.search.msn.com'

Any other ideas







Re: Error MSN Search When Putting Live

JamesBrooksbank

Since fiddling around with the proxy I finally got it working. Thanks for the help




Re: Error MSN Search When Putting Live

Bradley Jiang

Most probably it is still the proxy. If your client machine is connected to internet via proxy, you need to explicitly set the same proxy in your code. Applications usually do not use the proxy in your user profile.

Grabbing a netmon trace will also be helpful. You can check where the request goes.





Re: Error MSN Search When Putting Live

dereck27

Try to check proxy configuration ...




Re: Error MSN Search When Putting Live

dereck57

I've just finished testing an implementation of the MSN Search functionality into one of my projects. During debugging and testing on my local machine everything was working successfully, searches were being carried out and everything was fine.

However when putting it onto the server I came across an error:

The remote name could not be resolved: 'soap.search.msn.com'

I believe that the problem will be down to permissions on the server. Before messing around with the permission settings I thought I'd ask and see if anyone else has had this problem and whether or not they managed to solve the issue. Thankyou

...




Re: Error MSN Search When Putting Live

me*

Again: Do you have configured a proxy in your Web.config





Re: Error MSN Search When Putting Live

yashwanth

hi...i am behind proxy and i got MSNSearchPortTypeClient instead of MsnSearchService which is provided in the examples when i added the webrefence ...
how do i add web proxy to MSNSearchPortTypeClient
i couldnt find any variable or method for webproxy...




Re: Error MSN Search When Putting Live

jz5

yashwanth

Hi.

You can use a proxy by editing "app.config" as the following,

<bindings>
<basicHttpBinding>
<binding name="MSNSearchPortBinding" closeTimeout="00:01:00"
...
useDefaultWebProxy="false" proxyAddress="http://***:8080">

1. Add proxyAddress attribute in binding tag.
2. Change useDefaultWebProxy value to "False"





Re: Error MSN Search When Putting Live

yashwanth

hi jz5

thanx alot for the help..plz tell me how to add proxy credentials too to the app.config file






Re: Error MSN Search When Putting Live

jz5

I'm not sure, but maybe... You need to edit <security> for credential type, properly.
If you use a basic authentication, the config is the following,

<security mode="TransportCredentialOnly">
<transport clientCredentialType="Basic" proxyCredentialType="None"
realm="" />
<message clientCredentialType="UserName" algorithmSuite="Default" />
</security>

1. Change security mode to "TransportCredentialOnly"
2. Change transport clientCredentialType to "Basic"

And UserName and Password settings is the following,

Dim service = New MSNSearchPortTypeClient
service.ClientCredentials.UserName.UserName = "foo"
service.ClientCredentials.UserName.Password = "bar"


See Also
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms731925.aspx
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms731347.aspx