DanDotNet


Hi All, I'm trying to follow this sample: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb229148.aspx for using the MSN Search webservice, go the APP ID and everything but when I try to run it I keep getting an error on page. Any idea what could be causing this

Thanks in advance.




Re: Errors on page problem when using MSN Search Websevice

DanDotNet


Hi All,

It looks like no one had any similar errors, I cant figure out what I did wrong, has anyone managed to get the Live Search functionality using the search webservice working using the sample I mentioned or any other sample out there

If there are any other sources I can reference please do let me know.

I cant seem to figure out why I cant get this to work.






Re: Errors on page problem when using MSN Search Websevice

Ken Mingeaud

Don't work for me either. Where is the string in searchProxy.aspx

There is none, , but it says, "replace the string in searchProxy.aspx"

It also says "Copy webservices.discomap and webservices.wsdl into \App_WebReferences\com\msn\search\soap at the root of your ASP.NET Web server."

But Where are they

Ken in Seattle







Re: Errors on page problem when using MSN Search Websevice

Ken Mingeaud

Dev Live Search Sample of 8/22/06

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx FamilyID=206f8cc4-2183-4b2c-8248-18fb1af34f23&DisplayLang=en

as the files and sample search web page that answers the

"Copy webservices.discomap and webservices.wsdl into \App_WebReferences\com\msn\search\soap at the root of your ASP.NET Web server."


I added that download to the above link and got it to work fair.

km





Re: Errors on page problem when using MSN Search Websevice

Nate Buggia - MSFT

Ken, did that solve the problem If not could you describe the exact error message you received

thanks,
nate






Re: Errors on page problem when using MSN Search Websevice

Ken Mingeaud

Thanks for the response.

I'm running into another problem now, described below, but I started out with,

The article of http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb229148.aspx seems to be incomplete
(haven't got a date on the article really).

But when you add the files from the download of dev.live.com Sample: Search of 8/22/6 and replace the files you get in this download into the previous article you get something that works somewhat. But,

Now what I'm up against now is that the local search for www.cpo... only brings back one hit when you type in for example SUSTAIN, and a bunch on www.washington.edu.

I'm wondering why

// It WAS 3/5/7, var sc = new searchClient('keyAndCount', 'returnArea', "(site:msdn.microsoft.com OR site:dev.live.com OR site:microsoftgadgets.com OR site:forums.microsoft.com OR site:www.cpo.washington.edu/html)");

(mine)

var sc = new searchClient('keyAndCount', 'returnArea', "(site:www.cpo.washington.edu OR site:www.washington.edu)");

doesn't get any hit on www.cpo.washington.edu. As you can see I'm at the UW and I'm trying to use the new search engine
for one department at the UW.

Got clues Does the search engine search Microsoft's catalogs of us or actually our site

Thanks very much for the reply.

Ken M.

(and darn, also now that it is on my server I'm getting,

Xmlhttp error

Please repeat the query.

500

Internal Server Error

)






Re: Errors on page problem when using MSN Search Websevice

DanDotNet

Hey Ken,

Thanks for pointing out this sample, I did use it in the past but it looks like I was missing the layout file, tried it again and everything works perfectly!